Friday, November 14, 2008

Reading & Writing

Madeline has been making good progress in reading recently.  I have been very happy with the ClickN Read Phonics Program. She has also been using the ABeCeDarian Reading Program along with several sets of Bob Books that I picked up.

 I wanted to add some additional language and writing activities for her.  I really like to idea of a daily journaling time, but I needed motivation for her.  So, I found this book

It contains lots of writing prompts, some of which are a bit too advanced for Madeline right now... the book is recommended for grades 2-6... but some which will work now.  I figured that I would be able to use the ideas for years to come.

I also picked up a couple of out writing resources.  This one has daily practice activities correlated to the 6 Traits of Writing.  I am planning to explain the activities to her and then let her work independently on them.


This book has lots of writing prompts and provides guidance on topic development.  I thought it had a lot of good ideas.


I am also thinking about spelling.  Earlier in the year I thought that I would be using the Making Words books and that would provide an easy spelling list.  I decided not to use those books, however, since the work is very similar to that in the ABeCeDarian Reading Program.  So, I am going to pull spelling words from the work Madeline is doing in both the ABeCeDarian Reading Program as well as from word lists that are provided with the ClickNRead program.  ClickN Read provides both a list of words she is learning in the program as well as Dolch word lists for pre-primer, primer, first grade, second grade, and third grade.  

So, that is my plan for now.  I think it is a good one!

No comments: