Thursday, November 20, 2008

Puzzling States

The girls' nana brought them a big floor puzzle of the United States.  Madeline just loves this puzzle and puts it together frequently.  She got it out this morning and decided to put it together by herself.  She was very proud that she completed it by herself!

Then she showed off her ability to find several states, including Missouri, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New York (she is very excited about a trip we have scheduled to NYC next summer), Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska.  We had to pull out a map of the world to find exactly where Alaska and Hawaii are located since the puzzle places them both in the ocean southwest of the US, as most maps of the U.S. do.  Luckily I had picked up a couple of place mats with maps of the U.S. and the world on them a couple of weeks ago.  She was surprised to see where Alaska is actually located.    

Here is Madeline pointing out where Missouri is located.

After we were finished finding the states she knows, she decided to take the pieces out one-by-one as I named them.
Then she put the puzzle back together again!


1 comment:

Tracie said...

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog!

You know... I had read that too about SOTW. My honest opinion is that all history texts are going to have some inaccurate information (at least according to someone out there). We're not very far into the book but so far, I'm not too concerned. The actual text is short so although it serves as a spine for history and keeps us on a path... it still allows for lots of supplemental materials (books and dvds) which give us different views of the same information.

I'm not sure if my ramblings helped you any, but if they didn't, let me know and I'll ramble some more! :-)

Tracie