Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of Dance

Well, the "fall" has clearly arrived as all of the new activities are starting up. We had our first busy day of art class and 3 dance classes yesterday. We went to the library in between. I was not sure how that would work, but it went surprisingly well. We were all really exhausted by the time we got home though. Oh, and we made a stop at the pool after the dance classes too.

Isabella started her class first. She is in a class that includes instruction in both tap and ballet. I did not get many good pictures. It seemed she either had her back to me or there was too much glare on the window when I got to an angle where I could get a good picture. Here is the best picture I took.



Hailey started her first class, which is "movement," but she insists that she is taking "ballet."



We thought she was holding her breath here, until she told us no, she was being a balloon.



Madeline has moved into the beginning level classes, and has chosen to take ballet this year. She was very excited for class, but when she was done with the first class she said she never wanted to go back. I did momentarily consider trying to change her to tap or jazz, but decided to have her stick it out. When she and I talked about it we determined that she was just not happy that there was no fooling around in the class. Ballet is very structured and the teacher has high expectations. I have no doubt that she can rise to the occasion, but it may be a struggle at the beginning. At the end of our conversation I told her she could choose a different type of dance next year, or no dance at all, and she said, "well, I could still choose ballet again, right?" I think ultimately she does really want to learn ballet. I did not get any pictures of her in class because the only window is in the classroom door, and there were about 10 mothers hovering around the door yesterday trying to get a peek. I will try to get some pictures next week.

No comments: