Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Workboxes Update

I will admit that when I began using the workboxes I was skeptical.  I was concerned that it would be too structured and rigid for us.  I am so glad that I tried it, however.   It has worked so well for us!  We have been so productive.  The girls have been excited about learning and motivated to learn.   It has also had the added benefit of keeping me organized.  It is so simple to get everything ready for the next day, and actually the girls like to help fill their boxes at night.  Once we start each day, everyone knows what needs to be done, and all of the materials are already gathered for them.  We are much more efficient!  We are also making better use of the space in our home, because materials are not spread out all over the house.  This also makes my husband happy because we are spending much more time downstairs, where all of the "school" materials are as well as most of the girls' toys.  I have found there is much less cleaning for me too, because the toys stay downstairs for the most part.  I am also making use of lots of materials that would otherwise only get pulled out a couple of times a year, and the girls are getting more review of skills.

Here are some pictures I took of the girls working the other day.

This is Hailey proudly displaying the letters she made.

Hailey also worked with the pattern blocks.  This is one of those item that I would normally only get out a few times a year, but now they are getting lots of use!
Here she is showing off her finished flower.


Madeline has been working on subtraction with regrouping.  She loves writing them on the white board.  We have  been taking this concept slowly because I know it is a tough one.  I think she has finally "gotten" it.  She did all of these correctly, all by herself.
We still don't always sit at the table for our work.  Madeline prefers to be able to move while learning.
The workboxes have not been quite as effective with Isabella.  She would still prefer imaginative play to her "school work," but I figure at 5 that is still okay.  
Madeline made this with the pattern blocks while she was showing Hailey what could be done with them.

1 comment:

Hope said...

I like the idea of having them help gather the next day's items.