Monday, July 6, 2009

The Value of Multi-Age Learning

I think it is fabulous when I see my children teaching each other.  Today while they were working, Madeline took it upon herself to help Hailey with her letters.  She helped her make her letters with the wood pieces, and then she helped her trace the letters on her chalk board.  I was so impressed because I have been trying to get Hailey to correctly trace the letters on the chalk board for a few days, without really making any progress.  There she was, though, working with Madeline, and doing it perfectly.  I think that there is great value from them learning from each other.  Not only is the child being taught learning from her sister, in a way that is different from what I would do, but she is  learning the value of learning from others, and the child doing the "teaching" is learning about helping others, and often has the information she is teaching reinforced/reviewed.

Hailey is pretty excited to be learning her letters, and is very proud of herself when she is able to make letters with the Handwriting Without Tears wood pieces.  Here she is, working on the letter "B."

No comments: