Sunday, March 14, 2010

Exploring Parenting

I am always looking to explore new ideas in parenting and education in an effort to strengthen our family, become a better parent, and provide a better education for the girls.  Recently, a friend of mine was talking about an upcoming Discovery Health Channel program "Radical Parenting," which included a family that practices radical unschooling.  I decided to take a peak at the program.  I must say, I was a bit disappointed.  First, I wish it had been a more comprehensive look at the life of this family.  I found the segment on this family fascinating!  I was disappointed that the episode also focused on 2 other families/approaches.  I would have loved to have had the entire hour devoted to this one family.  Second, I was disappointed by the critique provided by the experts.  I thought that the information provided by the experts was VERY one-sided.

I have discovered, however, that there is a blog and podcasts, located at http://werhumansbeing.com/.  So, now I am spending time reading the blog and listening to the podcasts to get more information on how this particular family functions.  I am always looking for ways to develop stronger connections and better communication within our family, and I think that this family is a good example of both of these.  I am looking forward from learning more from this family!

No comments: