Monday, October 5, 2009

Knitting 101

I think it is interesting that I have recently had the urge to knit and sew.  I blame it on the changes in the weather.  Fall must trigger something that tells us to get ready for winter.  I have not, however, knit or sewn since I was about 15, so it poses a challenge.  It did not help that there was another mother at our homeschooling play group today who was sitting there knitting.  Then, this afternoon I remembered that we had some knitting materials with our craft items because I purchased the Oak Meadow first grade curriculum package when Madeline was younger.  She was ready for some of the materials then, but not for knitting.  So, I pulled out the knitting needles and the yarn and found some online tutorials to help me get started.  Amazingly, it all came back quickly and after I had knitted a few rows Madeline asked if I would show her how.  She took to it quickly, and is now busily working away on a scarf.

Beyond learning the skill of knitting, I believe she is also developing fine motor skills, learning patience, gaining self-esteem, learning that things come from someplace other than the store, and expressing her creativity.  

Here are a couple of resources that I found online to help us get started.

No comments: