Friday, June 26, 2009

Organization!

In researching ideas for this year, I came across a system developed by Sue Patrick called "workboxes."  I was a little skeptical at first, but it seemed like a good way to streamline and organize our work, for very little financial investment, so I decided to give it a try.  Previously, I had given each of the girls a file box containing all of their materials and a list of what needed to be completed for the week.  This made it easy for us to learn anywhere because the girls could just bring the file box to wherever they were and to work at their own pace.  That was good, but I think not visual enough for them.  With this system the girls see exactly what needs to be done for the day, it is all organized for them, and there is no search for the materials they need.  It has also been very motivating for Madeline to work to get to the last box.  I definitely think it provides a structure that she needs.  She has been very productive, as have the other girls.  Even Hailey has gotten the hang of it!

I do have some concerns about it still.  I am concerned that we will become so focused on the boxes that we will forget about the "other" learning that goes on day to day.  I want to continue to make learning about more than just what is in those boxes.  I also need to work on being sure that the work in the boxes is appropriate.  I think it could be easy to overfill them and spend way too long working through them.  

All in all, however, I think it has been a positive change that we will continue. 

Here is Hailey beginning her "work".

Madeline is definitely more productive with this system!  

No comments: