Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Name

I have been going back and forth for a while about whether or not to name our homeschool.  There are several places where I have had to fill in a name, and I have used our last name as the school name along with Academy, but I have read that it is not a good idea to use the family name in the homeschool name because it may look strange to employers when your child applies for a job with his or her school name the same as his or her last name.  So, I have been trying to come up with a name that is appropriate and fitting.  I have posed the question to the girls several times, but they have really not come up with anything that would stick or be appropriate for the long term.  Well, Madeline and I sat down the other day and started playing with ideas.  We came up with what I think is a good name, although long and probably more prestigious sounding than we needed, but a name that I think will endure and hopefully be appropriate for transcripts.  We chose Daylily Preparatory Academy for Gifted and Creative Students.  Madeline also chose a mascot for the school... a bear.  Although I may have to work on that one because I really like the idea of a monarch.  Maybe we could use the monarch in some other way, though.  Now hopefully the other girls will happily accept the name.


No comments: