Sunday, July 27, 2008

A New Math Curriculum

We started our academic year (which we have chosen to begin June 1) with Everyday Mathematics, which I have used with Madeline for a few years, and before that taught in a couple of different schools. I have been pretty happy with it. It is a well researched program. Plus, since it was out of the University of Chicago, and I am partial to anything from Chicago, well, I was happy to be using it.

I found, this year, however, that it was just not moving fast enough for Madeline. We started the 1st grade curriculum back in March, actually, and she was just wizzing through it. She was not really needing to practice the skills past the initial introduction, and she was transfering the skills to new situations without any effort at all. So, I went in search of a new curriculum that would move faster and challenge her.

Well, after looking at several different curriculums we have settled on Singapore Math. I have had several other parents tell me about their successes with it, and I found some great reviews online of the program as well as information comparing it with other programs. It appears to be a solid program, and it seems to fit our needs. The research studies supporting it are impressive.

I ordered Primary Mathematics 1A for Madeline and Earlybird Kindergarten Mathematics A for Isabella. I actually debated on whether to start Madeline in 1 or 2. She was on the border when I gave her the placement test. I figured that any new program has its own quirks and new language to learn, so I decided on 1.

The Earlybird Kindergarten Mathematics A seems to be a really great fit for Isabella. The activities are definitely at the appropriate level for her, and move at an appropriate pace. I also ordered Essential Math Kindergarten A for her for some extra practice, and I am happy with that as well. She has enjoyed the activities from this program: coloring, cutting and pasting, some writing and drawing lines for matching. She even used a ruler (with some help) to draw straight lines.

Madeline has moved at quite a fast pace through Primary Mathematics 1A, but it has been appropriate for her. It has held her attention well, and she often wants to keep going, even after the lesson is finished (actually we have been completing more than one lesson in a sitting). The curriculum moves quickly, which is what we were hoping for, and there are some activities available in the curriculum that will provide review if we get to a topic for which she need extra practice. I suspect that we will be beginning Primary Mathematics 1B before the summer is out, however.

I will keep you updated on our progress.

No comments: